Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2014

What LOVE Means to a Foster Mom

When you think of the word LOVE in regards to your children, what comes to mind?

When I think of my son, I love his stubborn yet playful personality. I love how smart he is and his capacity for learning new things. I love that after every time-out he runs to give me a hug with tear-filled eyes. I love his curly blond hair. I love every aspect of him.

These feelings of affection for my child are an example of LOVE expressed as a noun. But what about LOVE as a verb? Most parents actively love their children by feeding them, giving them affection, and playing with them. I don't know about you, but I never explicitly thought of love as a verb when caring for my child. It was simply innate. Something that you did without question, hesitation, or thought.


LOVE as a verb means:
  • feeding your child regularly and trying to get as many wholesome foods into their systems as possible
  • taking your kids out of the pack and play (stroller, car seat, high-chair, -insert immobile baby holding device here-) and allowing them to explore and exercise
  • holding a baby while giving them a bottle!!!
  • bathing your children
  • sitting beside them as they play
  • interacting and playing with them
  • making sure that your child feels secure and confident in your home
  • ensuring that your child is comfortable - temperature, clothing, environment, etc



I've learned a little something about LOVE in the last few days as a foster mom. When loving a child, it is not enough express love as affection. To have a healthy and happy child, love must also be expressed as a verb. 

I'm still in shock over the state of our foster child. One of our case workers told us that his parents loved him.

Our definitions of LOVE must be very different.



No comments:

Post a Comment